Learn how to bring large projects from concept to creation using OmniFocus and complementary third-party apps.
Large projects can span weeks, months or even years. They may be something that you take on personally (e.g. completing a university degree) or as part of a team of people (e.g. building a house).
It’s important to have a strategy for taking on these major endeavors and a solid system to help keep you on track. Otherwise, procrastination will likely kick in and the project will end up taking much more time and energy than is necessary.
This session takes you through the process of bringing large projects to fruition using OmniFocus and complementary third-party apps.
We’ll cover the full project lifecycle, everything from the initial project planning to manage the details of the discrete actions that contribute to the ultimate outcome.
We’ll also look at how OmniFocus fits into the picture if you’re working on the project as part of a team. And you’ll learn some practical strategies for staying productive and motivated, even when the finish line is far off in the future.
What You’ll Learn
Topics covered in this live session include:
- Practical strategies for approaching large projects that you’re taking on individually or as part of a team. Featured apps include MindNode and OmniOutliner.
- How to manage and monitor the big picture of long-term projects without feeling overwhelmed by the scale of the project.
- How to structure large projects in OmniFocus.
- The advantages of using multiple smaller projects instead of a large project with numerous groups.
- How to make use of project checklists in OmniFocus to help ensure that nothing falls through the cracks.
- How to conveniently use Evernote alongside OmniFocus to store and reference project notes and research.
- How to use OmniFocus with team collaboration apps, including Asana and Trello. While these apps are designed to be used in team environments, they can also be very helpful for keeping track of large projects that are being taken on by individuals.
- How OmniPlan can be useful for tracking timelines and dependencies and ways of using OmniPlan alongside OmniFocus.
- And more…
It's recommended that you watch the recording of the Start Smart with OmniFocus session, whether you're new to OmniFocus or an experienced user. In addition to showcasing OmniFocus' features on Mac, iOS and Apple Watch, this session provides a review of best practices and recommended conventions.
Also check out OmniFocus: Beyond the Basics to delve further into OmniFocus' feature set. Among other things, you'll learn how to create and edit perspectives on both Mac and iOS (Pro Edition).
For more information on using OmniFocus as part of a team, watch the recording of Using OmniFocus in a Team Setting.