This session picks up where Start Smart with OmniFocus leaves off and introduces features and workflows that bring enhanced efficiency and convenience to OmniFocus for Mac and iOS.
This session, combined with Start Smart with OmniFocus, covers almost all of OmniFocus’ features and settings and introduces best practices and power user tricks that will support you in making effective and efficient use of OmniFocus across all of your Apple devices.
Please note: As indicated below, some of the features that are showcased in this session require the Pro Edition of OmniFocus for Mac and iOS. More information is available on the Omni Group’s website.
Topics featured in this session include:
- Efficient Ways to Get Things In and Out of OmniFocus:
- How to make efficient use of the Quick Entry feature in OmniFocus for Mac.
- Fast and convenient ways to create new actions on the Mac that reference Mail messages, web pages, files and more using the system-wide “OmniFocus 2: Send to Inbox” Service.
- How to use OmniFocus’ integrated Share Sheet extension to easily create OmniFocus actions using iOS apps, including Safari and Maps.
- How to configure and use your iPhone and iPad to capture actions using Siri.
- A variety of ways to get information in and out of OmniFocus for Mac, including techniques for moving information between OmniOutliner and OmniFocus.
- Efficient Ways to Process OmniFocus Items:
- Quick and convenient ways to specify and calculate dates on the Mac.
- How to make batch changes to groups of actions on the Mac.
- Advanced techniques for conveniently creating and customizing projects and groups on the Mac.
- How to Conveniently Access Key Projects and Actions:
- How to make effective use of the Today view on Mac and iOS.
- How to maintain focus and avoid distractions by using the Focus feature in OmniFocus for Mac (Pro).
- How to create and edit a variety of different perspectives on Mac and iOS (Pro).
- How to associate contexts with a specific location (e.g. Pacific Centre Apple Store in Vancouver) or a search (e.g. “Apple Store”) using your iPhone and iPad.
- How to Fine-Tune Your OmniFocus Setup:
- How to fine-tune your OmniFocus settings on Mac and iOS.
- How to customize the layout of the home screen on your iPhone and iPad.
- How to use OmniFocus notifications effectively on the Mac and iOS.
- Advanced Topics:
- How to use the OmniFocus for Mac Forecast perspective to change due and defer dates.
- How to include referenced or attached files in OmniFocus actions.
- How to open two OmniFocus windows in full screen mode on a Mac.
- How to install and use AppleScripts with OmniFocus for Mac (Pro)
- How to improve efficiency using a Bluetooth keyboard and OmniFocus for iPad.
- How to make use of the split screen feature that is available on newer iPads.
- And more…
OmniFocus was designed with David Allen’s Getting Things Done (GTD) approach to productivity in mind. To get maximum value from this session, it will help to have at least a basic understanding of GTD. Visit our Getting Things Done® (GTD®) Resources page for a list of resources, including some short videos that provide a quick and succinct introduction to GTD concepts.
It's also recommended that you watch the recording of the Start Smart with OmniFocus session, whether you're new to OmniFocus or an experienced user. In addition to showcasing OmniFocus' features on Mac, iOS and Apple Watch, this session provides a review of best practices and recommended conventions.