- This event has passed.
Managing the BIG Picture with OmniFocus 3
April 17, 2019 | 10:00 am - 11:00 am PDT
This session is all about taking action in the context of the bigger picture of your life. You’ll learn practical concepts and how they can be applied with OmniFocus and complementary productivity apps. Topics include, strategies for articulating projects and actions that move you forward in a meaningful way and how to tell when you’re drifting off course.
Productivity can be defined simply as the process of producing results in life and work.
Hopefully, these results are in alignment with what you’re up to in life. The mechanics of achieving these results ultimately comes down to completing a series of discrete actions, with each action bringing you closer to a purposeful destination.
Horizons of Focus
A key concept in David Allen’s Getting Things Done approach is Horizons of Focus. He shares that the work we do spans multiple altitudes or perspectives.
The “runway” level is where the action happens; we crank through widgets (literally or metaphorically) and attend to items on our calendar. As we gain altitude, our perspective shifts to Projects (Horizon 1), Areas of Focus and Accountability (Horizon 2), Goals and Objectives (Horizon 3), Vision (Horizon 4), and ultimately to Purpose and Principles (Horizon 5).
Staying On Purpose
Ideally, everything we do at the runway level is in alignment with our Purpose and Principles. In practice, it doesn’t tend to be this simple. In this day and age, it’s very easy to get caught up in the busyness of day-to-day life and to be dominated by distraction.
To keep life and work on track, it’s important to be intentional about setting aside time for reflection and strategic planning and to be mindful of how you’re spending your time and attention. When used effectively, OmniFocus and complementary productivity apps can help you approach your life and work systematically — freeing your mind for creative thought while also helping you navigate the path forward.
Attend the live session and learn how to:
- Use OmniFocus to help ensure that all of your Horizons of Focus receive the appropriate amount of attention.
- Use OmniFocus to be intentional about creating time and space.
- Use repeating review projects to help keep your day-to-day actions in alignment with what’s most important to your life and work.
- Track your Areas of Focus and Accountability and ensure that all areas of your life are getting the appropriate amount of attention.
- Stay motivated when working on longer-term objectives, especially when you’re investing a significant amount of time and energy and not seeing significant short-term progress.
- Determine what to keep and OmniFocus and what’s best kept elsewhere.
- Use OmniOutliner and MindNode alongside OmniFocus to plan projects and actions.
- Use collaborative apps such as Asana, Trello, and Airtable alongside OmniFocus when working in a team environment.
- And more…
An Interactive Experience
During the live session you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and share insights using the chat box and audio/video conferencing. You’re welcome to join the live session 15 minutes before the start time to familiarize yourself with the online meeting technology we’re using and for an informal chat with other participants. The live session will remain active for 15 minutes after the completion time for additional questions and sharing.