- This event has passed.
OmniFocus and the Calendar – Mastering Your Time Flow
September 29, 2021 | 10:00 am - 11:30 am PDTFree
Learn how to use OmniFocus in concert with your Calendar to manage your commitment levels and to help ensure that you’re making optimal use of your time and energy.
OmniFocus and your calendar both serve important roles in your productivity system. When these tools are used effectively, you’re clear on what needs to be done and intentional about setting aside time to complete your actions and projects. This session focuses on best practices for using your calendar alongside OmniFocus and includes techniques for conveniently integrating these two essential apps.
When it comes to project and task management, one of the biggest challenges is determining how long something will take. During this session, we’ll look at specific strategies that make use of built-in OmniFocus features and draw experience from past projects and time tracking metrics. We’ll also explore practical ways to gauge your commitment level, to help ensure that you don’t take on more than you can handle.
What You’ll Learn
Join the LIVE session and learn:
- OmniFocus or the Calendar?
- How to determine what goes in your calendar and what belongs in OmniFocus.
- How to make effective use of defer and due dates in OmniFocus.
- How the Forecast perspective can help you take a proactive approach to life and work.
- How custom perspectives in OmniFocus can help you align your time with your intention.
- Monitoring and Managing Your Commitment Levels
- Practical ways to determine your current commitment level.
- Why it’s important to limit your active projects and close open loops.
- Estimating Time for Actions and Projects
- About the key differences between planning work and doing work and why it generally makes sense to keep these activities separate.
- Practical strategies for estimating how much time to set aside for projects and actions.
- How to use time tracking apps to monitor how you’re spending your time and to help make informed time estimates in the future. Featured apps include Timing, Toggl, and Timery for Toggl.
- How to make effective use of the estimated duration feature in OmniFocus.
- About the costs of perfectionism and strategies for producing high-quality work without getting caught up in spending more time on tasks than is warranted.
- Block Scheduling
- How to use block scheduling to reserve time for your OmniFocus projects and actions. Featured apps include Calendar, Fantastical, and BusyCal.
- Strategies for dealing with unexpected circumstances.
- About the importance of setting aside time for rest and reflection.
- How to colour code your calendar to help ensure that all areas of your life are getting the appropriate amount of attention.
- Automating Your Scheduling
- How to add convenience, efficiency, and accuracy to your work and time flows Omni Automation and Shortcuts.
- And more…
Especially if you’re new to OmniFocus, it’s recommended that you go through the Start Smart with OmniFocus 3 course before attending this session. You might also want to watch the recording of the OmniFocus 3: Beyond the Basics course to get better acquainted with OmniFocus’ more advanced features.