OmniFocus Workflows with Rev. Michael L. Wilson
December 2, 2020 | 10:00 am - 11:00 am PST
Rev. Michael L. Wilson (aka “The Tech Pastor”) is joining us from San Lorenzo, California to share how he uses OmniFocus and complementary apps to manage his multifaceted life and work.
Michael adopted OmniFocus in 2010 after picking up a second-hand iPhone 3G and a MacBook Air. He was drawn to OmniFocus’ flexibility and is a fan of the Omni Group’s talented team of people. Michael’s Apple devices have seen some major upgrades over the years. He now has a 27” iMac, a 16” MacBook, a couple of iPads, and an iPhone.
Michael has been a member of the Learn OmniFocus community since 2018. He regularly participates in the small-group Learn OmniFocus Office Hours gatherings on Zoom. He continues to hone his OmniFocus setup and workflows through these sessions and generously shares his productivity wisdom with other participants.
Michael’s Approach to OmniFocus
During the LIVE session, Michael will share details of his OmniFocus setup and workflows, including:
- How he manages the ever-changing landscape of his life and work.
- The variety of ways that he uses OmniFocus on his Macs, iPads, and iPhone.
- How he makes productive use of defer dates.
- Details of the three custom perspectives that he uses to hone in on his most important tasks.
- Other custom perspectives that provide him with customized views of his OmniFocus database and help him deal with specific situations.
- How his foundational routines help him navigate the uncertainties of life and work.
- Ways that he’s adapted his system to meet the challenges that have come with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- His innovative approach to using MindNode to track interactions with people in his parish.
- How and why he uses the Due app alongside OmniFocus.
- How OmniOutliner fits into his productivity system.
About Michael Wilson
Rev. Michael L. Wilson is a native of Alameda County in the San Francisco Bay Area. He and his wife of 32 years continue to call the Bay Area home.
Michael’s interest in technology dates back to his days in the United States Air Force (USAF). During his time in the military, he was introduced to the Zenith Heath Kit Computer and the BASIC programming language.
After leaving USAF, he was hired by Seagate Technologies in Scotts Valley, California to write test software for drives and drive interfaces.
Michael’s productivity experience also spans many years. He’s a fan of David Allen, Hyrum Smith, and Stephen Covey. He previously used a Franklin Planner to track all the requests for software features and to schedule releases. And in 1999, he bought a Palm V and started storing and tracking his notes and tasks electronically.
For the past 15 years, Michael has served as the pastor of the Cornerstone Fellowship, a Baptist Church in San Lorenzo, California, the same church that he attended as a child.
Michael wears many hats at the church. In addition to being the pastor, he’s the landlord (his church rents space to other churches), network administrator, counsellor, building manager, project manager for church-related projects, and much more. His love for tech has earned him the nickname, “The Tech Pastor”.
An Interactive Experience
During the live session, you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions and share insights using the chatbox and audio/video conferencing.
You’re welcome to join the live session 15 minutes before the start time to familiarize yourself with the online meeting technology we’re using and for an informal chat with other participants. The live session will remain active for 15 minutes after the completion time for additional questions and sharing.